Thursday, February 27, 2014

An altered tin as a mermaid aquarium

Hi everyone!  I might be rushing the season just a wee bit, but when Gina designed these new mermaids, I simply couldn't wait to have some fun with them.  I'm calling this piece a mermaid aquarium.  The mermaids are available as a set of 12 in varying sizes.  I used the 4 inch size thinking I'd start small then once it gets closer to Summer, I can go much bigger with a 12 x 12 canvas project.  For this fun project, I used a tin I'd had in my stash for a couple of years.  It's a little bit larger than an altoid tin at nearly 4 x 6.  I used mod podge to apply Japanese lace papers to the tin for texture, used ink sprays in ocean colors, then coated it with clear glass bead gel.  I painted my mermaids with twinkling H2O's and then applied glass microbeads over a coating of glossy accents.  I also used our new catweed shape in the background, a clump of chipboard grass at the bottom, and a section of palm tree at the top for some extra tropical appeal.  Everything else I used was already in my stash.  My favorite part of a creation is looking through my stash to find things that are perfect, and it's so exciting when I find just the right pieces.  I wanted it to look like an aquarium so I found various wood pieces to create a stand.  I hope you like it!






Gina's Designs Products Used:


Other Products:
Glass bead gel
Prima Lady Bird flowers
Japanese Lace papers from Dick Blick
Ink Sprays
Wooden decorative elements from Hobby Lobby
Gilder's Paste
Twinkling H2O's
Glass microbeads
Butterfly by Renea Bouquets on Etsy

No comments:

Post a Comment