Saturday, April 16, 2016

April Samples for Gecko Galz

Hi Crafty Friends!   Today I'm sharing the samples I created using Gecko Galz products for my monthly feature on the Gecko Galz blog.

Up first is a 12 x 12 layout I created for my Oliver's memorial wall.  He endured a lot over the course of his final 6 months and the treatment for several chronic diseases, chemotherapy and the insertion of a feeding tube.  In the end,  all that I did to save him wouldn't matter, and I had to let him go.

The layout is made up mostly of Gecko Galz images and background papers.  The 12 x 12 background sheet is by Mambi, from their Mixed Media paper pad.   I did add much of my own mixed media painting, stamping, and stenciling.   All paper matting and images are by Gecko Galz including the fussy cut bird at bottom right.  At the bottom left I used the same image as you see in the chipboard "birdhouse" in my next sample below.  I resized the bird head image and changed the bright blue color to a sepia toning so it would look like part of the background paper.  I used a stamp by Kaisercraft to frame the image.   The butterflies are fussy cut freebies that can easily be found on Pinterest in all colors.
Gecko Galz Products:

Blue Birds of Happiness digital collage set
Vintage Visions digital paper pack
Flower Power digital paper pack
Easter Parade digital craft kit (the blue striped paper)

Other:
Background paper by Mambi
Bird nest (bottom right) by Prima
Flourish with hearts (bottom right) by Sizzix
Paint Drips stamp by Prima
Stencil 6 x 6 hexagons by TCW
Prima Blooms spray in gold (used over the stenciling)
Sparkling H20's (also used over the stenciling)
Sizzix thinlits die scribbles and splat
Coffee stains stamp by Stamping Bella
...................................................
Next up is a chipboard birdhouse that I cut from a 12 x 12 sheet of chipboard.  The house measures approx. 5 " x 8".  I used a circle punch to cut the bird image, and used a painted chipboard chain and gears circle over the image.  The background paper is by Gecko Galz and really made the piece special and gave it a steampunk look.  I printed out the paper sized at 8 x 10 and fit most of the gear pattern to the left bottom corner.  I wanted a gear at the top so I fussy cut from another part of the paper and adhered it to the top.  I then added the gorgeous feathers that were left over from a previous Gecko Galz kit.  They were already printed but I just hadn't used them.  When looking through my Gecko Galz scrap bits, I was thrilled when I found them.  I have a tendency to print more than I need at times, or perhaps I changed my mind and used something different.  Trust me, those scraps and bits, or leftover collage sheet images are never wasted, you will find a place for them.

Steampunk digital paper pack
Blue Birds of Happiness digital collage set
Free Birds digital craft kit (feather icons)
Other
The Chipboard chain frame and chipboard gears are by Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts
................................................

Next up is an altered bottle.  I purchased the clear glass bottle at Hobby Lobby and the project was very simple.   I just covered the bottle with matte Mod Podge and ripped up hunks of tissue paper.  For more interest you can stamp on the tissue paper first.

 While the Mod Podge was still wet, I sprayed the bottle with inks sprays in shades of blue, a little copper and some gold.  I added some of the Gecko Galz Vintage Visions music paper which I printed on tissue paper.   To print onto tissue paper, I just run a glue stick over the top and bottom edge of a sheet of regular copy paper, then fit the tissue paper over that.  Trim the edges so it doesn't jam the printer and just hit print.  It's a great way to cover a wooden frame, or a glass bottle, or anything else.

When everything was dry I applied my image with more Mod Podge.  I then rubbed some gelatos in darker blue over some of the crinkles created by the tissue paper, and then rubbed the crinkled areas with gold Gilder's Paste.  I embellished with lace and flowers.  

The grapes began as purple plastic.  I sponged on white gesso followed by Folk Art acrylic paint in blue, then rubbed on some of the gold Gilder's Paste.  I colored seam binding with spray inks and wrapped it around the neck of the bottle.  I used 3 colors and dried each before applying the next color so it wouldn't end up looking muddy.  

Blue Birds of Happiness digital collage set
Vintage Visions digital paper pack

Thanks for looking!  Please visit the Gecko Galz blog to pick up your free digital stamp!



3 comments:

  1. Oh my my my. Your work is outstanding, Nancy! I always love everything that you create. Oliver's layout is just adorable. I know your pain is deep but your love is so strong and it certainly shows! The bottle is super fabulous! Magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are all beautiful pieces. condolences on the loss of your dear Oliver. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful projects, Nancy. Thanks for the deets. My condolences about Oliver. xoxo

    ReplyDelete